Saturday, September 22, 2012

Power of Positive Attitude




Before I begin to explain the pic I must rewind to Monday.  The beginning of the week started with a lengthy to-do list.  I was whittling away at it and then it got longer... much, much longer.  As Monday came to a close, I was sure Tuesday would be a better day...my goodness, it wasn't.  Wednesday arrived and I was certain my K-2 assembly would be the perfect antidote to my craziness...and though I'll admit the assembly went well, Wednesday was possibly the worst day of the week!  Thursday then arrived and I was set to make it a positive one.  I attended a Compass Learning session and then had two very good discussions. Those talks seemed to start turning things around.  Friday arrived and, simply put, I had one thought:  TGIF! That brings me to the pic. You gotta smile when you see that cat, don't you?  As most of you know I try to be very upbeat on a daily basis; I do not want to be the person that dumps on people and is always saying, "Woe is me."  I would say my upbeat attitude has lessened tension in some areas and allowed me to have very strong relationships with most individuals. Most of all I believe our students feed off positive energy.

That brings me to the message of the week: The Power of Positive Attitude.  Almost every Friday people are chipper and upbeat; the weekend is near and a chance to recharge is in the air.  Homecoming week is another week that people always seem a little happier. Whether it is the festivities or the helpful distraction, things seem joyous.  Another event that spurs good feelings is Holidays.  Most people in general are more positive around special Holidays.  I realize it is next to impossible to be "up" every single day, but what if we had the "Friday" attitude on Mondays?  What if we took the positive energy of Homecoming week or a Holiday and tried to use it most days or weeks?  My guess is we would be a happier society.  Think about kids. Most kids love holidays.  They love all holidays, and don't we wish we could bottle that happiness and open it up in late September to give kids a jolt they need.  

What I notice is this:  When people are happy, all aspects of life improve.  When you are happy you are more patient.  When you are happy you "do the little things", when you are happy you volunteer, when you are happy you routinely give 100%.  I believe it is the same for kids.  Students give better effort when they are happy (and feel safe & secure).  Happy students typically don't bully, happy students don't argue and act disrespectful.  The sad thing is we encounter so many students that are unhappy for one reason or another.  When I was teaching I tried to "get to know" each student.  I wanted to know their interests, hobbies, favorite music, safe place, and even things that bugged them.  I found that by making a personal connection they would be easier to communicate with and understand.  

At some point you are going to encounter negativity... the feeling of being overwhelmed, the thought of "why me", possibly even the thought of "I can't do this".  It may or may not be you, it could even be a student that echoes this in your class.  How do we change the attitude?  How do we get ourselves or others to be more positive?  I would tell you from personal experience (especially this week), it takes little things to start making a dent.  A simple note to a colleague, a phone call, a supportive meeting, a hug to a student, or just a friendly smile.  The little things can make the biggest difference.  

My challenge for you:  If you have a student that exhibits a poor attitude, you may not be able to fix it in one day or even one week, but the consistent positiveness will eventually make a dent.  If you see a colleague struggling, try something small to encourage them.  Take the mentality of paying it forward.  Finally, if it is you that feels down or overwhelmed, think of the day as Friday, take on the mentality of a Holiday, try doing little things to snap yourself out of it.  We all go through ups and downs, and remember you aren't alone.

Next Week at a Glance:

Tuesday, September 25th:  TEAM meeting AM only
Tuesday, September 25th:  String Team in cafeteria from 4-5pm
Tuesday, September 25th:  FALL FESTIVAL from 5:30-7:30pm
Wednesday, September 26th:  Grades 3-5 Assembly 8:45am
Thursday, September 27th:  CP Federal Credit Union Interviews
Friday, September 28th:  Homecoming versus Eaton Rapids!  Go Panthers!
Sunday, September 30th:  Happy BDay to Lori Phillips

Notes of Interest:

*  We will be having a tornado drill this week.
*  Goals and Growth are due Wednesday at 3:45pm.  Keep in mind these can be amended after you put them in.  I would like a starting point by the end of Wednesday.
*  We have a new procedure coming for "TAT's", this is a state and district mandate.  I will share the new procedure with everyone this week.
*  I'm going to attempt to "flip" a staff meeting soon.  Never done this before and I'm going to try and make it painless for myself as well as all of you.  The goal is to value everyone's time and to also create more two-way conversations.  I may completely fail at flipping staff meetings, but I'll at least give it a go.
*  If you are interested in a Spring Arbor Tutor please email me and let me know best times.
*  Finally, please complete your SAFE SCHOOLS videos/quizzes by the end of September.  If you are not done by Friday I'll have to give you a homework assignment for the weekend.

Great Things Noticed or Heard:
*  Must say I loved the Book Commercials Mrs. Gibbs showed me!
*  Great video of Michael H., proud mom and dad created it!  #boardmember #prouddad
*  Excited to see Seth W. getting his picture taken with Mrs. Archer...step in the right direction.
*  Received a delicious treat from Mrs. Soper's class...yummy chocolate/peanut butter no bake cookies.
*  Heard several positive remarks about the cleanliness of the building.  People notice!
*  Enjoyed counting in Mrs. Nash's room.  Lots of hands-on manipulatives for kids to learn with.
*  Got a kick out of Mrs. Smith's class.  They created construction paper models of their houses.  Aurora drew herself peeking out the window!  
*  Worked on a puzzle with Luke in Mrs. Dault's class.  Her class acted like it was April, everyone engaged and working hard!
*  I was fortunate to receive 9 hugs in Mrs. Moffitt's room.  Very loving group.
*  Enjoyed seeing Mrs. Kline "on cloud nine"!  She now has a new projector and the Smart Board is getting oh so close.
*  Loved it when Lanie scored on the boys in soccer!
*  Caught Mr. Baum playing the guitar with a few Young Five students.  He had them hooked.


Articles Worth Your Time:


Videos you'll enjoy:


Leading with lollipops, interesting, little things make a big difference, definitely worth six minutes.



Dan Meyer, Math Curriculum makeover.



This is a 6th grader.  I don't need to say more...




Amazing pick of Space Shuttle!


Extreme weather in some parts of our globe!


Fall is officially here.  I really love fall, I just wish it lasted longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment