Saturday, January 5, 2013

Grass is Greener on...

The first blog of 2013.  I'm really not the New Years Resolution type.  My mentality is simply, "Why wait for the New Year?"  Yet as I say that I do believe this is the time of the year to reflect on what was and look ahead to 2013.

On a personal note I'm always trying to make the new year better than the last.  I reflect on 2012 and I feel pretty good.  I took classes in Educational Economics, Organizations of Education, Administrative Leadership, and Technology in Education.  I entered into the world of Twitter.  I have found this extremely educational, the resources are abundant and the ideas are vast.

I would also say 2012 taught me some lessons.  Lesson 1: Don't believe everything you hear. Lesson 2:  Always be yourself.  Lesson 3: Have a "Growth Mindset".



Have you ever had the "Grass is Greener on the Other Side" mentality?  I have had this before.  I have hardly ever acted on it, but I have thought it.  For example, I have often thought there are far better places to live than Michigan.  I have dreamed of warmer climates, more efficient State Government, and better roads (those that live in Michigan understand this).  Recently I went to San Diego for a week.  I had visions of grander!  60+ degree weather, running on the beach, six lanes of traffic, fast cars, surfing, lush green golf courses, and a laid back mentality that makes me think Jimmy Buffet or Ron Jon surfing.  My visions were naive!  Each morning when I ran the temperature was between 36-42 degrees, six lanes of traffic were spacious but stressful, the water temperature was so cold that barely anyone surfed, and the laid back Jimmy Buffet/Ron Jon style is ridiculously expensive!  San Diego was wonderful to visit for 3-4 days, but to live there would be too much.  By last Wednesday I was wishing to be home and wanting to get back to work.  

As 2013 begins I start having new "Grass is Greener on the Other Side" visions.  I start believing life
will be great after I finish my grad classes. I start believing enhanced technology will make everything easier, and I believe the time is coming for people to value education like they used to.  Experience tells me this is great to hope for, but I must also be realistic.

I believe it is human nature to have a mentality of "Grass is Greener" thoughts at some point.  I believe it is also easy to fall into the thoughts of, if I only had this, or if this happens then, these in my opinion are traps.  Ultimately we make our own choices.  "You can't always change your circumstances, but you can always change your attitude." - 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

Here's to 2013, may it bring a sense of reason to politicians, may it bring increased safety to schools, may it bring productive professional development, and most of all may it bring the mentality for all of us to be open-minded, patient, student-centered educators!

As you begin 2013, are you making Resolutions? Are you reflecting on 2012? Are you looking forward to 2013? Is the Grass Greener on the Other Side?

Next Week at a Glance:

Monday, January 7th: Welcome Back!
Tuesday, January 8th: 4pm String Team in Cafeteria
Wednesday, January 9th: grades 3-5 assembly
Thursday, January 10th:  RTI training at the ISD
Friday, January 11th: Hat Day, pay $1 to wear a hat (proceeds go to 4th grade for Exchange City)
Saturday, January 12th:  Happy BDay to Julie Oliver

Articles Worth Your Time:

Brad Wilson's Blog on Project Based Learning by @dreambition

20 tips for creating your own Professional Learning Network by @classroomaidinc

Who is Your Role Model?  by @PeterMDeWitt

Why Smartphone obsessed generation Y can't put down their phones  by @ChelseaKrost

Observing the Common Core Classroom by @NMHS_Principal

8 things You Must Give Up to Find Peace by @marcandangel


Videos Worth Watching:

This is a great way to start 2013! (5 min)




Wright's Law: A unique way to teach (12 min) shared by @MrPowersCMS




New Year's Around the World (3 min)




No comments:

Post a Comment