Saturday, May 25, 2013

RollerCoaster

Last year in May I posted this blog: Thrive or Survive. In this post I talked about making the choice to thrive during the end of the year festivities or simply survive till school is out.  I believe my message was positive and I encourage you all to revisit this post; it has ideas on how to thrive!

As I say this, I will admit that these last few weeks have been a roller coaster ride!  I want to THRIVE!  My mentality is upbeat and positive, but I'll admit some days I feel defeated.  I'm writing today to share some of the ups and downs and to let all of you know that it's okay.  Some days may feel like survival and others you may feel like you are thriving.  It's the end of the year and that's a typical feeling.


Let's rewind to last week.  The week began on a high note.  I was in every classroom on Monday... I love these days!  As the week went on I started having to deal with increased discipline and disgruntled parents.  I say THANK GOODNESS for Enterprise City which was held in Taylor, MI.  That 4th grade field trip was amazing!  It was just what I needed.  The very next day I taught music...and I must admit I rocked it out (which is shocking since I'm tone deaf)!  Those were easily some of the high moments!  Then the lows:  Discipline, parent meetings, disgruntled parents and complaints about transportation.  I know, I know...it comes with the territory.  You're right, I can deal with it.  I say all this because it is completely normal to have moments of thriving, and then SMACK, you jump into survival mode.  

We have 11 days of school remaining.  I'm not going to lie, we will all experience ups and downs in the final days.  As I sit back I reflect on ways I have helped myself get to a "better place".  Here's my list:

After a tough day this has helped:

1)  Exercise. Nothing is better for me than a good hard workout!

2)  Family outing. Go to dinner or on a walk or simply sit on the couch and watch a program together.

3)  Go shopping!  You laugh, but I find when I'm down it's nice to go out and buy myself something.

4)  Write a positive note to a friend. When I do something kind for someone else it makes me feel good.

5)  Call a friend or relative that you haven't talked to in a long time.  This gets your mind off your issues.

6)  Throw yourself into your hobby.  My wife enjoys landscaping.  After a hard day I often find her outside working.

7)  Find a funny book, show, or movie.  Laughter is a great medicine!

8)  Pray.  Trust in your faith.

These eight areas have lifted me up, and so my advice is: Deal with the issues head on, and then move on.  

I read a recent quote that really hit home with me, it said, "Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy." -Buscaglia

Recently I watched the movie 42.  This was the story of Jackie Robinson.  I really enjoyed the movie, I left feeling uplifted and feeling as though I could deal with challenging conversations.  Check out this clip:


Favorite Line:  "I want a player that has the guts NOT to fight back."

As you enter these final weeks understand we all experience the roller coaster of emotions.  Ups and downs are a part of the year that we must expect.  How will you move past the "downs"?  How will you recharge, refocus and bring out the best in each day?



NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE:

Monday, May 27th:  No School. Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 28th:  Spring Musical grades 1, 3, and 5 at CAC 7pm
Wednesday, May 29th:  Grades K-2 Final Assembly 8:45
Wednesday, May 29th:  5th grade to Binder Park
Thursday, May 30th:  KDG to Potter Park
Thursday, May 30th:  Jen's Baby Shower
Friday, May 31st:  Bree's Wedding Celebration Evening

*  Reminders to all staff:

- Now that we have no more early releases, Wednesday's activity schedules will be the same as Monday and Friday.
- Please schedule your exit discussions. Topics include: data, reflection and PD



iPAD iNFORMATION:

5 Digital Storytelling Apps for Elementary Students

26 Instructional Activities on the iPAD (A-Z)



Articles Worth Reading:

How Should We Evaluate Teachers?  by @blocht574

25 Ways to Institute PASSION Based Learning shared by @posickj

The jobs of the future don't require a college degree  shared by @NMHS_Principal

For Public Schools, Twitter is No Longer Optional shared by @massp

Difference between Projects & Project Based Learning (chart)  shared by @casas_jimmy

Twitter for Teachers  by @KleinErin

Loyalty Does Not Mean Silence shared by @educationweek

How and (why) Teachers Should Get Started With Blended Learning  shared by @powell4thgrade

Learn Anything in 20 Hours...  shared by @Cantiague_Lead

Every Child Has A Solo.   by @DrJoeClark

9 Ways to Live Better, Longer, Happier  shared by @8Amber8

What Graduation Speeches Should Say, but don't  shared by @dreambition



Videos Worth Watching:


Must See! I always try to find a silver lining.  (3 min)




Inspiring Story of Sportsmanship.  I told our 4th and 5th graders to remember that, "We are all on the same team."  (6 min)





Raising Kids to be entrepreneurs.  (22 min)



2 comments:

  1. Great post!!! (I'm looking forward to you sharing this video with my kiddos!) :)

    ReplyDelete