Friday, November 29, 2013

Sunshine Award



I am honored to be nominated for a Sunshine Award. Blogger, Brenda Giourmetakis... @bgiourme nominated my blog for the Sunshine award.  This is how it goes. . . 
The Sunshine award gives others an opportunity to learn more about me as a blogger and then, in turn, I will send sunshine the way of 11 other amazing bloggers for you to get to know!
Here are the rules listed by Brenda on her blog:

  1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
11 Random Facts about me...

1.  I have a true weakness for ice cream.
2.  I once cried when my favorite basketball team (Oklahoma Sooners) was beaten by Danny Manning's Kansas Jayhawks.
3.  When I was fifteen years old I met Greg Norman at a Charity Golf Tournament...he was exceptionally rude.  
4.  I have zero artistic or musical talent. I enjoy musicals and symphony's but only to listen to. I have never been to a concert.
5.  I cannot snap my fingers.
6.  I used to be addicted to online video games.  At one point in my life I was ranked #3 in the United States in FIFA soccer.
7.  I'm a member of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
8.  I've never watched a horror movie from beginning to end...I'm a huge wuss!
9.  The last movie I cried at was "For Love of The Game".
10.  I enjoy basketball but I stopped playing because I have terribly weak ankles.  It saddens me that my ankles are so poor that I rarely feel confident enough to jump.  
11.  Once in college our team was playing in the National Championships, four of my teammates and myself drove down to Miami, stayed out all night and sat on the beach watching the sunrise.  

Now For Brenda's Questions:

1.  I sleep on my back unless I'm sick.  I rarely snore so my wife doesn't mind me being a back sleeper.

2.  My glass is ALWAYS half-full!  I will openly admit I try to avoid half-empty people as much as possible.  They suck the life out of me.

3.  I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction, but I will lean towards fiction as more enjoyment.  My favorite fictional story is Where the Red Fern Grows.  I love that story, I laugh, cry and get lost in my own thoughts.

4.  My secret guilty pleasure is shoes.  I have tons of shoes.  I'm constantly buying new running shoes.  I can never have too many shoes.  

5.  I definitely prefer running over walking.  But I will admit I just like being active.  I nice walk with my family and dogs is always enjoyable.

6.  My favorite treat is mint chocolate chip ice cream in the evening.  

7.  How do you leave work at work?  Honestly I don't all the time.  The best cure for me is going for a run, playing with my boys, hanging out with my wife, blogging or participating in a twitter chat.

8.  If I was a tree...I would be a white pine.  Not sure why, I just like that the needles don't hurt and that they can survive in all conditions.

9.  My favorite subject in high school was Social Studies.  I enjoyed my teachers the most, but I also enjoyed learning history.  My history teachers made school more about relationships and less about getting through material.

10.  Socks with Sandals?...NEVER! If I have to wear socks I will choose tennis shoes each and every time.  Sandals should not be worn with socks.

11.  When someone thinks of me they think...nice guy.  I'm a bit bland, I'm a bit conservative and my humor is on the dry side.  I do think most people believe I'm a nice guy with a kind heart.

Now For Jim's Questions:

1.  If I wasn't in education I think I would be in the golf business or possibly a storm chaser.  I love storms and I grew up a golf junkie.

2.  Favorite book is a tie:  Where the Red Fern Grows and The Last Lecture 
I love both for different reasons.  I also enjoyed DaVinci Code...really made me think.

3.  Favorite meal...hmmm, I'll say Lobster, but I do love fall off the bone BBQ Ribs!

4.  Yikes...I sing a lot of songs I shouldn't sing.  How about, Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle.

5.  I'll do both for you Jim!  Favorite TV show is Castle.  I loved Alias for years...now I've grown up and Castle is it.  Favorite Movie...I really enjoy Hoosiers, guess I have a soft spot for the underdog.

6.  If I was stranded on an island I would need - sunscreen...I'm fair skinned!  I would need the book Hatchet to keep myself entertained and finally, my fishing pole & hooks.  Cheers!

7.  Any three to dinner...#1 Abraham Lincoln...I would love to listen to the stories.  #2 Muhammed Ali...can you imagine having dinner with Muhammed Ali!  #3 +Jimmy Casas  I've eaten with Jimmy before...I'm confident he'd pick up the tab!

8.  One place I'd visit would be Old Trafford.  I'd love to take in a soccer game in England between Manchester United and Liverpool.

9.  I prefer dessert...but I rarely leave room.

10.  When work gets stressful I exercise.  For me there is nothing better.

11.  Favorite Band, I enjoy Journey or maybe Chicago.  Nowadays I like Zac Brown Band or Phillip Phillips.

Now For Cory's Questions:

1.  Favorite Movie of all-time is probably Hoosiers.  I love the underdog!

2.  My definition of character:  Being True to your word and values.

3.  I used to believe assessment drove planning...but then I began to feel as though I was teaching to the test.  I now believe you create the best plan you can and formative assess often.

4.  Who would play me in a movie...tough one...maybe a Josh Stumpenhorst.

5.  Odds on is Denver, but I'll say Seattle.

6.  Filet Mignon.  Hamburger feels like it sits in my gut for days.

7.  One word for 2014:  How about ubiquitous.

8.  I'll cheat and choose a poem for my favorite quote:  Robert Frost's - The Road Not Taken.

9.  Dream Vaca:  I would love to take a 3 week vacation that started in France and my family got to visit England, Switzerland, China and then we spent a week in Hawaii.  I could envision 3 days in each place and then a long stay on the islands.

10.  One thing to change for 2014, I will budget money better.

11.  In 20 years I see myself traveling with my wife.  Her dream is to by one of those bus RV's and travel the country.  I hope we are doing that in 20 years.

Thanks for the questions Jim.  I always appreciate your insight and support.  You are a valuable part of my personal #PLN.  Thank you for sharing the positive side of education.


Now For Bill's questions:

1.  My first city that I lived in outside my hometown was Angola, Indiana.  I really enjoyed my 4+ years there.  It really had everything I needed/wanted.

2.  Coffee or Tea?  I say neither.  I prefer lemonade, powerade, gatorade or water.

3.  To learn and grow I usually get online.  I enjoy reading blogs and participating in chats.

4.  My sophomore year of college was a turning point for me.  The light bulb went off and I realized I wasn't going to be a professional golfer.  At that point I began to follow my passion for helping kids.  I was inspired by the fact that I thought I could make a difference.  I truly believed education was my mission.

5.  I've only had a few challenges with parents and staff.  Looking back these are all moments of growth and reflection.  I've learned honesty and fact are essential. I can be at peace with all things if I'm honest, thorough and people oriented.

6. Two roads diverged in the wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost

7.  That's funny.  I actually reference both movies and TV shows.  All sorts of different ones.  Most recently, 42, Secret of Happyness and Remember the Titans.

8.  The Last Lecture is a book that should be read by everyone.  Puts things in wonderful perspective.

9.  Something to avoid in teaching or presenting?  I would say both overconfidence and being unprepared.  Honesty, humbleness and the ability to tell a story are key.

10.  Students succeed when they know we care.  Relationships must come first.

11.  My most recent compliment was on twitter.  I was told that my blog shows how much I care about my school and staff.  Surprised me.  But I do love my staff and building!



Thanks for the questions Bill.  Really glad I got to meet you in Brighton.  I hope we can grab dinner again.  Thanks for thinking of me.

Blogger's that deserve the Sunshine Award...












At first I thought it may be a challenge to find 11 bloggers...then I got started and I could have doubled my list!  These 11 bloggers are a part of my PLN and help me grow each and every week.  Thank you! Below is a list of the 11 questions I'm asking you to answer...

1. Do you prefer to shop in stores or online?
2. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
3. What is your favorite type of music? Favorite band or song?
4. Cats or Dogs? Why...
5. What is your typical bedtime?
6. Favorite twitter chat?
7. Democrat/Republican/Other? 
8. Best place you ever vacationed?
9. Best book you've read in 2013?
10. Favorite television show when you were growing up?
11. What is one thing you never/rarely share that you are exceptionally proud of?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I learned more new things about you! This one really made me think!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben. Here is my response. Hope all is well.

    http://curtrees.com/2013/12/18/sunshine/

    ReplyDelete