Friday, July 25, 2014

Transforming Learning Spaces (2 of 2)



Our society typically views bigger as better.  We also prefer more, rather than less.  What am I referring to?

I often meet educators that think money and space are the key factors in creating the most optimal learning environment.  I believe this mentality is off base.  I will admit that I've had that belief in the past, but I have learned through the years that even small spaces can lead to amazing outcomes.

Last week I shared some takeaways from #NerdCampMI and I began discussing learning spaces in this post Transforming Learning Spaces (1 of 2).  It should come as no surprise that Learning Spaces is a hot topic.  Educators around the country have adjusted their thinking about student learning.  The focus is centered on relationships, teamwork, student choice and movement. Essentially the space should reflect the culture and learning you aim for in your classroom.

Classroom Design is not a new topic.  What I'm sharing is not groundbreaking, but I will say that I have witnessed a profound shift in classroom design over the past few years.  The shift has coincided with three things:

1.  The Common Core:  As educators around the country shift to CCSS the importance of differentiation takes on a greater significance.

2.  Technology:  Increased classroom technology has brought the need of flexible spaces to the forefront.

3.  Project Based Learning/Genius Hour:  Teachers are transitioning to Facilitators, the "teacher-centric" way of conducting class no longer fits the demands of the current classroom.  Many educators are re-designing with a focus on collaboration and movement.

With all that being the foundation, now let's get to the challenge.  Several weeks ago I began working with +Erin Klein and +A.J. Juliani in an effort to inspire and motivate educators to transform learning spaces. The intent is truly student-centered.  Our students crave a new learning environment.  One that will allow freedom, exploration and creativity. 

Here is the challenge, if you choose to accept!

We have launched the website ClassroomCribs
Check out the website and then...

Between August 14th and September 14th - 
Create and Share a 3-minute (or less) video of your learning space detailing the setup, aesthetics, function and overall rationale.

This is what is preferred:

*  Before & After pics/video - please have the video in a URL so it can be posted
*  250 word (or less) rationale of the space
*  Bio of the teacher

We also encourage educators to share pics and videos on twitter using the hashtag #classroomcribs

Your videos will be on the website and Youtube channel to help inspire educators!

You may be wondering, what is in it for me?  First and foremost it is a chance to reshape learning.  If you are anything like me your classroom is a second home.  Shouldn't you feel happy and proud of your space?  Second, there is a panel of judges that will choose the best designs. Check out the website for more information on this aspect.  Third, this isn't just for teachers.  We strongly encourage all educators to re-design their spaces.  That includes librarians, administrators, technicians...you name it! The goal is to focus on pedagogy and brain based theories...not just the cutesy stuff.

Still have questions?  Check out Erin's video for the #SummerLS


Finally, I can't say it enough...our students desire learning environments that promote creativity.  I challenge you to sit in your classroom, if you were a student how would you feel?  Is it time to re-design?


Articles Worth Reading:






Do You Wanna Play? @Jonharper70bd





Videos Worth Watching:

For the Heroes! (4 min) shared by @bethhill2829



Meet Mighty George! (7 min)



Food Labels?  This will make you laugh! (5 min)



2 comments:

  1. Ben I enjoyed this piece because it has inspired me to really think about how I design my office. I really think this challenge will motivate and excited others to do the same. I will definitely take some before and after pictures. This also has me thinking about designing learning spaces for my own children at home. As always you are pushing my thinking. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post and resources. Tried to go on the classroom cribs site but it won't let me sign up anywhere?!

    ReplyDelete