Friday, January 2, 2015

Extended Family

Today I visited my mom on her final day of work.  She is retiring from the Post Office and preparing for some much deserved rest and relaxation.  As I stood back and took it all in I listened to co-workers, customers and friends.  Her final day was a celebration!  The hugs, well wishes and stories really made for an uplifting environment.

At one point I listened to my mom and a former employee share a memory and then I heard her say, "Your co-workers become your family."


Sometimes stress comes from work, sometimes grief comes from work, sometimes frustration comes from work...these are all natural feelings that we experience.  What I began to think about is the moments.  Think about your year, who has experienced it with you?  I bet in one way or another your work family has.  I think back to the moments that have been shared.  In just the last few years we have endured a lot of highs and lows.  A few that come to the forefront are: weddings, child birth, loss of loved ones, graduations, major awards and the welcoming of new colleagues. 

For the last five years I feel lucky to have forged so many meaningful relationships.  

Life is interesting.  Think about it, such a huge part of every one's life is work.   I grew up in a time when work was very blue collar, you tightened your belt and rolled up your sleeves.  I watched my parents endure good and bad times on the job.  I heard the stories my grandfather shared about the good ol' days.  And all this led to a mindset; that mindset then morphed into wanting a better life for my own kids.  Yet through it all, one thing remains...the people.  They are in the ones that are in the trenches with you.  

As I sat back and watched my mom take in her final day, it was a good reminder that it is always about relationships.  I felt that 2014 was a phenomenal year for me, for Warner and for my family. There were celebrations, honors and opportunities, but through all of it, experiencing it with my extended family is what I will cherish.

Now we kick off a new beginning, 2015 is here.  In some ways I can't believe it is truly 2015.  I mean as a kid I loved watching Back to the Future with Michael J. Fox and when they went to the year 2015 I was in complete awe!


My goal for 2015 is to strengthen relationships.  I want to continue to walk-along-side my extended family at Warner.  I want to build lasting friendships with my #PLN and I want to cherish the adventures with my own family.  

When it came time to leave the retirement open-house I hesitated.  I thought about the legacy, the end of an era and I also thought about the connections.  Our relationships are who we are.  We don't always have to agree, we don't always have to be best friends, but in the end it is about enduring, caring and togetherness.

As I look ahead I see lots of new beginnings, a few endings and endless opportunities.  I'm grateful that I have such a great team to live it with each and every day.  Here's to a wonderful year!







NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE:

Sunday, January 4th:  Happy BDay to Candy Brugger
Monday, January 5th:  Welcome Back!
Monday, January 5th:  Reminder to all String Team students, no practices in January
Wednesday, January 7th:  Grades 3-5 morning assembly
Wednesday, January 7th:  Early Release 2:35pm
Thursday, January 8th:  CP Federal Credit Union PM
Friday, January 9th:  Meeting at MDE (9am-3pm)

New & Notes -
*  Keep in mind the 4th & 5th grade Spelling Bee is scheduled for Monday, January 12th


Articles Worth Reading:

One bad tweet can be costly to a student-athlete

Arne Duncan's EDU predictions for 2015 @arneduncan

Arne Duncan asks, "What If?" Here are the responses... @ValerieStrauss

Most Memorable Blog Posts of 2014 @ReadByExample

In My Ear, In The Moment @JimDetwiler1

Playing in the Paper @laughwithchad

Why Schools Should Pay More Attention to Students' Grit  @HuffingtonPost

One Hope @ScottRRocco

15 Ways To Live a Year With No Regrets @marcandangel


Videos Worth Watching:

Owen and Haatchi...phenomenal! (12 min)



Year in Review 2014 (3 min)



Staredown between Fallon and Downey Jr. (3 min)



Touching Gift...great reaction! (1 min)



Bet My Life by Imagine Dragons (3 min)







1 comment:

  1. Ben I really enjoyed this and as always your kind spirit came through. I think that the strength of these relationships are the key to survival nowadays. Long hours and more stress at work require that we have extended families all around us. I consider you a member of my extended family. You have always been there for me when I have needed you and for that I am grateful. I cherish our friendship and look forward to learning and growing with you for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete