Saturday, May 23, 2015

We all have a Sammy...

There is something about the month of May in a classroom/school.  When I look back most of my major challenges occurred in May.  Why is Day number 160+ so much different than Day 5?

I have a theory...patience (and maybe a touch of Hope).

I recently took ten minutes to watch this Ted Talk by Deanna LeBlanc.


Who is your Sammy?  When I listen to Deanna's Ted Talk I think of all my Sammy's, I think of the student that is on my last nerve.  The student that I have redirected thousands of times.  The student that lashes out for no reason.  The student that has seemingly given up.  

So here is the challenge, as we hit the final stretch and we are all showing signs of fatigue, how do we give more?    

A couple days ago I saw one of my former student's brothers at a gas station.  He had his toddler with him and I'm pretty sure he didn't even notice me.  But I noticed him.  I didn't ask about Michael, I already knew.  I knew that a few years ago Michael was in a car accident and passed away.  Michael was in my first ever classroom.  I still think of Michael, I still remember him climbing out my classroom window. I remember him chasing the train at Greenfield Village.  I remember him trying to be the class clown on a daily basis.  I remember redirecting him time after time after time.  I remember my patience wearing thin.

And I still wish I could go back and have a moment to tell him he matters to me.  

For many of you your opportunity with this group of students is nearly over.  I know that you have given your heart and soul to your kids.  I leave you with two thoughts - 

1)  Stay patient

2)  Cherish the moments, when it is all said and done it won't be about the test score, it won't be about the grade.  



NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE:

Monday, May 25th:  Happy Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 26th:  AM Fire Drill
Tuesday, May 26th:  3rd Grade M-Step Makeups
Wednesday, May 27th:  K-2 Assembly 8:45am
Wednesday, May 27th:  10am 5th grade to the Middle School for Move-Up Day
Thursday, May 28th:  Grades 1-5 Field Day at SAU
Thursday, May 28th:  Patti's Retirement Celebration after school
Friday, May 29th:  IEP's in the AM


Articles Worth Reading:

Homework: An Unnecessary Evil? by Valerie Strauss











Videos Worth Watching:

Clarinet Scene from Mr. Holland's Opus (7 min)

 


Musical Impressions with Jamie Foxx (8 min)



Never Walk Alone... (14 min)





3 comments:

  1. These are the kids that test our strength and our courage. Ironically we are probably the people in their lives that test theirs'. My heart goes out to these kids and try as I might I can't stay mad for long at them. They are kids! And they are doing they best they know how. Just like us! The connections with these Sammy's are the ones that we remember. Thanks for the push and the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder Ben that often we only have one chance to show students how much we care. With moving grades and student mobility, it may be years (if ever) that we see a child again. We need to make that positive impact while we can!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    When we remember that our days are numbered, we hopefully will seek wisdom in our relationships. I personally consider how I would treat my own child when in the classroom. It works the other way as well because I believe that the students mold me into a better parent. Hopefully...ha!

    Thank you for sharing what is most important.

    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete