Sunday, September 27, 2015

Lights...Camera

"Excellence is the gradual result
of always striving
to do better."
- Pat Riley

When was the last time you saw yourself on camera?  Oh, I'm sure you are just like everyone else...you have an extreme dislike for having your picture taken.  Right?  But what's even worse than that? Watching yourself on camera!



I can still remember sitting in my college practicum course and analyzing video of myself teaching. Talk about awkward.  I heard myself saying, "Um, Guys, and So."  I was embarrassed by my poor verbal skills.   I also watched as my students appeared bored and disinterested.  Then came the kicker, I turned my back to write on the white board and two students took that as an opportunity to share gum and pass notes.  

As a student teacher I thought I was pretty darn good, but after watching the video I felt pretty darn bad.

It was a real wake up call that I had room to improve.  I didn't want to be another classroom teacher. I had a desire to be a difference maker.  I wanted to be great.  After that moment of reflection I found myself taking my courses much more serious.  For example, I was enrolled in an oral speaking class. After reviewing the video, I took all of my professor's words to heart.  I knew I needed to improve.

After becoming a classroom teacher I discovered that it was not mandatory to videotape yourself. Obviously this was a good thing...or so I thought.

About three quarters into my second year I was preparing to be observed.  I wasn't worried, but I also wanted to be on top of my game.  I decided to get the video camera out and tape myself.  

I still remember sitting at home and watching the tape.  I felt good about my movement, I was pleased with my improved vocabulary, but I was still upset with my extremely quick nature of not giving wait time.  Each time a question was asked  I only waited a second or two.  

Watching the videos helped me.  

Recently I thought about the value of watching yourself.  A few things came to mind.  

Think of all the professionals that record in some way.
  • Athletes
  • Entertainers
  • Musicians
  • Law Enforcement
  • Actors/Actresses
  • Pilots
  • Doctors (operating room)
  • Trainers
  • Speakers
What are your metaperceptions?  How do you see yourself?

Why record yourself?  In many cases it is to give a different viewpoint, help yourself improve and analyze strengths and weaknesses.  The bottom line, watching yourself on camera is another opportunity to reflect.

Before you dismiss the thought of recording yourself, I ask you this, do you want to improve?  Do you strive to be better each day?  If the answer is yes, then I hope you'll be open minded to trying something new.


NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE:

Monday, September 28th:  5th Grade Camp
Tuesday, September 29th:  No String Team (due to camp)
Wednesday, September 30th:  No AM assembly, I'll be at Mystic Lake
Wednesday, September 30th:  5th Grade Camp returns at 4pm
Thursday, October 1st:  AM Drill
Thursday, October 1st:  String Team 3:30 & 4:15pm
Friday, October 2nd:  Mid-Point of 1st Quarter

Articles Worth Reading:






Room 202 @Vroom6


The Right Stories @aaron_hogan



Videos Worth Watching:

#AwesomeGirls (4min)



Compliments from Miss Colorado (4 min)



Thank you notes by @JimmyFallon  (4 min)



Spread Kindness, Pay it Forward #RippleEffect (3 min)









1 comment:

  1. Nice post Ben! Unfortunately, we did not have access to video cameras when I did my student teaching. I'm sure it would have helped me to improve my delivery methods as a teacher. It's amazing how our perception can be different from reality sometimes. As you said, the real question is what are we willing to do to improve! Thanks for sharing.
    Jon

    ReplyDelete